Only current Women United in Philanthropy members can nominate organizations for a Human Service Grant Award. These nominations take place January-February each year. CLICK HERE to become a WUP member for the next grant cycle.
Women United in Philanthropy (WUP) awards grants annually to local non-profits serving women and children in our community through its Human Services Grant Award program. The amount of the grant and the number of grants awarded each year are determined based on the amount available in the WU Collective Fund. The Collective Fund is grown through WUP membership. The Human Services Grant Award program is unique and the process can change based on direction set by the Grant and Steering Committees, community needs, available funds, and other factors.
The Process, in general:
- WUP members nominate eligible organizations to the grant committee
- Eligible organizations are invited to submit a proposal for consideration
- The grant committee, made up of current WUP members, reviews all proposals and selects which applicants will advance to the site visit stage
- After site visits, the grant committee selects finalist organizations and invites them to present proposals directly to the full membership (the number of finalists can vary)
- All members are given the opportunity to vote during a brief period following the finalists’ grant presentations
- Grant award recipients are announced to the full membership at the WUP Annual Fall Luncheon
If you are a Women United in Philanthropy member interested in volunteering on the Grant Committee go here.
To be eligible for nomination by a WUP member, an organization must:
- be a 501(c)3 human services organization
- serve women and/or children in Planning District 10, which includes the City of Charlottesville and the Counties of Albemarle, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, and Nelson
- not have been awarded Women United in Philanthropy grants in the previous two grant cycles (click here to review our grant history)
In order for a WUP member to nominate an organization for a Human Services Grant, the member must:
- be a current member of Women United in Philanthropy (members are asked to renew each December/January)
- email the non-profit organization name along with details of specific program(s) or project(s) to be funded to WomenUnited@UnitedWayTJA.org.
- provide name, title, and contact information for an individual at the nominated organization in the nominating email
- Email before the nomination deadline.
The grant cycle timing may change due to factors within Women United in Philanthropy or community issues. A new grant cycle is typically announced within one month of a completed grant cycle.